Votes: 69 12.2%
  • Regularly, no intention of quitting

Votes: 54 9.6%
  • Regularly, tried to quit or relapsed

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Regularly, sure would like to quit

Votes: 45 8.0%

• Total voters
I'm 65 and I started at 14, about a pack a day although for a few years I smoked a pipe. I roll my own, no filter, and carry them in a 1920's art deco engraved sterling silver cigarette care with some gold trim.

When my first wife was in med school I read an article in one of her med journals that said we could satisfy our nicotine desire faster by smoking non-filter cigarettes so we'd get less other crap.

I just got through with about every test and scan that Medicare would pay for. My lungs have good capacity and look clean, and I don't have shortness of breath.

I did discover that I had epilepsy when I stopped smoking pot 7 years ago. It seems that pot is a great anti-seizure medicine. My neurologist keeps telling me that it's cheaper and more effective than the pills I take. Like she says "No cop is going to search a well dressed guy your age looking for a joint!"

Al- It certainly is. I have a friend who smokes largely to control his huge migraines.

On another note, I'm considering picking up a decent briar pipe for tobacco. I just love the smell of a good pipe tobacco. Any advice?

A friend was diagnosed just last week with inoperable lung cancer. One tumor wrapped around an artery, one that has cracked a rib (?) and one in his spine. He goes tomorrow for the consultation that will layout his options. I'm sure if anything these will be options that will just add a bit of time to what is a certain death sentence. The ironic thing is; his wife the week before was given a clean bill of health after undergoing months of chemo herself for cancer. Life is a bitch sometimes. I quit 16 years ago when my wife was pregnant with our son. The truth is. I enjoyed smoking.... but I don't miss it.

It's not easy finding a good pipe or good tobacco these days. All the pipe shops seem to have closed up. I used to like Edgeworth Sliced but it's no longer made. A little blue tin was a dime around 1960. Now you can get a nice piece of change for just an empty box on Ebay. If I'd only saved all those empty tins ;-(

A cigar once month or so.....I smoked for about 20 yrs and eneded at 2 1/2 packs a day. What got me to quit? As the paramedics were taking Pop to the hospital and he stopped them and motioned to me. When I got close, he told me to bring a pack to the hospital for him. That was in '98. It was the best move I ever made.

For the price of a single cigarette pack I can buy 5 rolls of slightly outdated (but still giving excellent results) fuji superia's. Go figure.

I voted in this poll a long time ago, "smoker, no plans of quitting".
Well, I quit on the 1st of the year; finally succumbed to peer pressure.
Not enjoying it, frankly my dark humor has been out in full color... "So this is why non smokers are such a whiney, pathetic bunch of fat asses..." I can't help think. "No wonder they need so much perfume!"
If I don't stop feeling so irritable soon I might just go back.

I have complete sympathy, but stick with it, Bryce. I quit five and half years ago; my recollection was that the first month was easy, but it got worse from there. The second and third months that were the hardest. But in the end you'll feel better, even if you have to join the ranks of the whiners.

To Al Kaplan: Al, I too like my pipes and I have no intention of quitting. My favorite all-day-every-day tobacco is Prince Albert in the red container (they aren't "cans" any more!). Fortunately, my favorite tobacco store here in Lancaster, Demuth's, keeps it stocked for me. If you are interested in well made pipes at a reasonable price, look up Jake Hachert on the web. He's a local pipe artisan, and I have several of his pipes. They all smoke great for me. Happy puffing!

To Al and jp,
I read your notes and thought of my granddad, smoke PA in a can, real cans, for ove 60 years. Think of the cans he would have had. Might I suggest Stokelby's Luxury Slices, a nice virginia sliced flake. Smooth and sweet.

Bryce said:
Not enjoying it, frankly my dark humor has been out in full color... "So this is why non smokers are such a whiney, pathetic bunch of fat asses..." I can't help think. "No wonder they need so much perfume!"

Could not agree more, Pub smoking ban brought in by Scottish Government last year, has almost halved the trade in my local during winter. (who wants to stand outside in the Scottish climate for a fag!!)
Funny thing, all the whiney wingers who used to complain about the smoke
(mostly "ladies" who wear sensible shoes:rolleyes: ) are now moaning that there is no atmosphere in the pub.:bang:

Bryce said:

Get yourself a pipe!!!

Hey, I was just blowing off a little steam. Or what ever it was.

gb hill-
A pipe? Hey, I'd have been perfectly happy to cut down to 5 cigarettes a day. That was harder for me than quitting, so I did it.
So a pipe? Heh, I'd be inhaling that stuff 18 times a day in no time!
No regrets really, the benefits are just in the abstract or the distant future. Too bad there aren't really any in the short term outside of being more socially acceptable (insert vomiting sound). And I just can't wait for that constant irritated feeling to go away- or have I just succeeded and become non smoker?

John Robertson-
All places of business (indoor) were made smoke free a couple of years ago. We (Seattle area) survived, including nearly all of our drinking establishments. The really stinky ones no longer have smoke to cover it up, and the not so stinky ones don't either.
Our climate should be pretty similar to Scotland's I think. Well, our law went so far as to ban smoking within 25 feet of a window or vent. So technically, it is illegal to smoke on most sidewalks here! Naturally there have been some rather humorous protests like smokers blocking traffic, but in reality the police just aren't trying to enforce.
Anyway, I'm surprised to hear there has been that much impact on business.

I smoked two packs of Marlborough reds a day for years. On April 1 around 7 years ago I was talking to a friend on the phone and running out of breath (and not yet 35). My friend said "why don't you quit right now?" I did and haven't had a cig since.

Began smoking while being a student, smoked for about 8 years, then quit. Been smoke-free for about a dozen years.

Used to smoke filterless Pall Mall or Chesterfield and the pipe; especially liked a W.O. Larsen tobacco.

Miss smoking every once in a while, especially after dinner, with wine and beer, but generally am glad to have quit.

Do you smoke?

Bebe, I'm always smokin'...
Just ask the laaaaaaaaaadies.

Tengo todas las chicas!
|
I've got ALL the girls!
|
Whooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!
|

Back