• Regularly, no intention of quitting

Votes: 54 9.6%
  • Regularly, tried to quit or relapsed

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Regularly, sure would like to quit

Votes: 45 8.0%

• Total voters
Pitxu said:
I've noticed that on evilbay some ads say "this camera comes from a smoke free home". Would that really bother anyone if their camera smelled like an ashtray?

As a former smoker I must say I still have a hard time every once in a while getting that whiff as students come in the room, fresh from nicotining up. I have had several lenses with cases that had been previously owned by smokers, and certainly would jones for a cigarette every now and again when getting the lens out. I've since sold them all, and am much less distracted for it.

There has been a move afoot to ban smoking in cars here in VT, along with every possible distraction for the driver- eating, drinking, even changing the radio or cd. Much would be unenforcable, but I for one am getting pretty tired of this kind of thing. New Hampshire banned outdoor smoking within 50' of a buildings doorway or smething along those lines, making it impossible to smoke outdoors downtown in many places. At that point why not just ban tobacco altogether?

I've had several relatives die from smoking related disease, one of them never smoked, but worked in a smoke filled office for 20 years, but there comes a point where government ought to just leave us be. I for one am much more bothered by the overuse of cologne & perfume, I have a shirt that I still can't wear after sitting on a couch in a public place after someone who was wearing a lot of cologne. And yes, I've washed it. Give me a smokers couch any day.

the tobacco conspiracy

the tobacco conspiracy

One day when I was walking in a cold Beijing street after a hard day work, I felt the disgusting taste of cigarette, I decided to stop (not quit) the 19 year history of burning money ....
but a year later, I took up the pipe for another year.... I gave up the habit completely when I realized that my teeth were as dark as pitch.....

Some of you may be interested to watch this documentary "tobacco conspiracy" by Nadia Collot who is a friend of mine & was a chain smoker.
http://www.tobaccoconspiracy.org/

I never smoked, but I grew up among smokers.
The "Big C" got my dad, mom, and stepfather.

I figure I passively smoked four packs a day until I moved out.
I'm not anti-smoking, but I know we're all better off without it.

Chris

Had a good Churchill the other day. Wonderful aroma and taste. Met a gentleman in his late sixties the other week who smokes one cigar every day for good health:) .

Pitxu said:
Update on smoking ban in French bars.

I noticed while in town this morning that some cafés and bars have put up the no smoking signs ready for the january "cease-fire". It's a 38 euro (55 dollar) fine for a first offence.
I know this ban is a step in the right direction health wise, but a heap of bar owners will be going out of buisness with this.
As far as I know the fines will be going the same place as taxes, but wouldn't it be a good idea if the money went to help smoking prevention groups and health education?

We had this same sort of regulation passed in one of the states in which I live in the U.S. and it has not affected any of the bars. People still come and drink. They just go outside to smoke.

The other state I live in has also passed a smoking ban, however their regulation states that smoking is allowed but only within an establishment that gets the majority of it's monetary gain (sales) in alcohol, etc (not food).

Yes.....it's not good, - but my pipes have been burning for over forty years, - I can still swim a mile, and cycle about twenty or thirty, so think I'll chance it for a few more years :eek:

Sorry to say I do! I never really thought twice about it until this year for some reason...24 now, and currently trying to quit, again lol. I stopped for a year in I think 02 ! Then started again sadly, but not so sadly. I know its bad, its my only vice, and I dont use that as an excuse, but truth. Not to mention, like cigar enthusiasts, Ive come to enjoy different tobaccos etc, not just hitting 7-11 for a pack, but tasting all kinds of tobaccos grown all over the world, Bali Shag has been my staple for the last year though Its a shi!#y habit for sure, but when I work I just smoke (artists/clothing designer, and I work at night, sunset to sunrise if i can help it) so just becomes "normal" i guess, not to mention a good hot french vanilla and a cigarette cant be beat lol. But lately as my work is branching to other things now, jewelry for example, (i hand make everything i do for my label) I find myself worried about smell!! And now, just not digging the smell overall, it and my good ol burning lungs killing me when I wake up is getting superrrrr annoying! Plus, Id save $$ haha, for film!
Bryan

jbf said:
We had this same sort of regulation passed in one of the states in which I live in the U.S. and it has not affected any of the bars. People still come and drink. They just go outside to smoke...

Can't do that in New Hampshire, gotta be 50' from any door. So, even on the centerline of the street is too close. I guess you could go in your parked car to smoke, but then you can't have an open container in the car, so, dash in and have a sip, then dash out and have a puff, back and forth. Good exercise.:bang:

Not since I saw what it does to computers....

Not since I saw what it does to computers....

Years ago, I took in a computer for repair... it wouldn't boot. When I opened the case the stench of cigarette invaded my nose. I started checking the machine out. I disconnected all the data and power cables and was confronted with yellow brownish deposits on the contacts. I plugged everything back together, powered it up and it booted just fine and ran well.

I then took it all apart again, used canned contact cleaner on the connectors and put it all back together. Again... worked fine.

As the smoke is drawn into electrical devices, the tars build up in the connectors and actually separate them from contact.

Gee, do I want that in my body?

Haven't touched cigarettes, pipes or cigars since.

kuzano said:
Years ago, I took in a computer for repair... it wouldn't boot. When I opened the case the stench of cigarette invaded my nose. I started checking the machine out. I disconnected all the data and power cables and was confronted with yellow brownish deposits on the contacts. I plugged everything back together, powered it up and it booted just fine and ran well.

I then took it all apart again, used canned contact cleaner on the connectors and put it all back together. Again... worked fine.

As the smoke is drawn into electrical devices, the tars build up in the connectors and actually separate them from contact.

Gee, do I want that in my body?

Haven't touched cigarettes, pipes or cigars since.
Now there's a new angle: If you won't stop for your own sake, think about all that hardware you spent silly money on!!!

Given the way the male mind works, at least, who's to say it wouldn't work?

- Barrett

There is no answer in this poll like "Yes, but only hemp"...:D

Edit : I quit smoking 4 years ago.

Last edited:
No. I did four packs a day for about 8 years; I worked on a Kabutz and was given free packs of cigarettes which I intented to sell in England BUT I ran out of money which meant I ran out of food which meant I started smoking. I also had a big chunk of hash I had bough t in Isreal. By the time I got to England I was smoking.

I stoppped cold turkey and started running marathons. I never missed it; though I did wake up from dreams where I had been smoking.

Smoking was one of the dumber things I've done; and I've done many dumnb things.

Quit cold turkey a month ago and have not felt a need to go back. Looking forward to my life insurance rates coming down 80% :)

Back