latest additions to your library

Marc Riboud: Photographs at Home and Abroad
My partner bought The Ballerina Project by Dane ****agi - her first photo book - and we've been gradually going through it together.

Picture Post Britain, Gavin Weightman. Landscape Photographer of the Year, Collection 02. Both from Oxfam shop.
The Contax Way, Freytag, Focal Press 1953. Very average condition, and I don’t even own a Contax, but only £2 from West Yorkshire Cameras. “When Zeiss Ikon was established at Dresden, films and lenses had improved enormously and the firm turned its attention to the design of a camera using perforated 35mm motion picture film. The result was the appearance of the first Contax in the spring of 1932.” And no mention of the L word.
A previous owner listed his kit inside the front cover. Are body T7178, 5cm Sonnar 3092966 and 13.5cm Sonnar 1930255 still extant?

I just received Elliott Erwitt's "Pittsburgh 1950" from GOST Books in the UK.

It is an exceptional tour de force by the then only 22 years old Erwitt.

The book (from 2017) is still available in the regular version, but I had to own the signed edition that also included a signed silver gelatine print.
I can recommend both versions.
Elliott Erwitt, Pittsburgh 1950 by mandoflex, on Flickr

Ron Jude "Lago" and "Nausea"
Teju Cole "Fernweh"
Gerry Johannson "American Winter" and "Deutschland : Supplement"
Ed Panar "In the Vicinity"
Mike Slack "The Transverse Path"
Stephen Shore "Steel Town"
Dawoud Bey "Street Portraits"
Seth Lower "Units"
Guido Guidi "In Veneto" and "Tra L' Altro"
Roe Ethridge "321"
Tenzing Dakpa "The Hotel"
Mark Steinmetz "South Central"
Raymond Meeks "Cyprian Honey Cathedral"
William Eggleston "SX-70"

among many others... it's been a pandemic problem for me. ;)

Ron Jude "Lago" and "Nausea"
Teju Cole "Fernweh"
Gerry Johannson "American Winter" and "Deutschland : Supplement"
Ed Panar "In the Vicinity"
Mike Slack "The Transverse Path"
Stephen Shore "Steel Town"
Dawoud Bey "Street Portraits"
Seth Lower "Units"
Guido Guidi "In Veneto" and "Tra L' Altr"
Roe Ethridge "321"
Tenzing Dakpa "The Hotel"
Mark Steinmetz "South Central"
Raymond Meeks "Cyprian Honey Cathedral"
William Eggleston "SX-70"

among many others... it's been a pandemic problem for me. ;)

A good selection for sure! I'm a great fan of Guido Guidi and his photographic style. I do not have "Tra l'altro" but I have seen it in my bookshop, it's very interesting!

And as a Polaroid lover myself of course I have "SX-70" by Egglestone.

Original 1931 copy of Berühmte Zeitgenossen in unbewachten Augenblicken (Famous Contemporaries in Unguarded Moments) by Dr. Erich Salomon. It's not in the greatest of shape (for book collectors, anyways) and it's missing its dust jacket, but it's good enough for me.

Erich Salomon Book 1931
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Technically a book, but not really a book either -

Goldberg, Jim "Fingerprint." Stanley Barker 2021. ISBN: 1913288188 - 90p. (actually 90 4x5 photos)

The Lee Friedlander retrospective from Fundación MAPFRE in Madrid. Most of the photos have been printed before. However, the book has real treasures, visual and written.

Also "Faces" by Jane Bown. I love her portraits. Her technique was so simple--natural light, Tri-X film, Olympus OM-1, usually an 85mm lens at ƒ/2.8. That's all. Except, of course, Jane Bown herself.

A good selection for sure! I'm a great fan of Guido Guidi and his photographic style. I do not have "Tra l'altro" but I have seen it in my bookshop, it's very interesting!

And as a Polaroid lover myself of course I have "SX-70" by Egglestone.

If you love Polaroids, check out that Pyramids book by Mike Slack… the photos are well done and the book is even better. Beautiful. Bookdepository has it and should be able to ship it to your area easily.

Territoire Déserts by Michael Martin: if you have an interest in desertic landscapes, on top of photography, this is a fascinating read. It's just a tad heavy ;-)

Just got my hands on this:-

RPS%20H%26D%20Book-XL.jpg

Their work from the 1880's and published in 1890 "still ranks as the most important ever written on the photographic process" according to Candler who was writing in 1960 to explain some aspects of their work. What I found interesting were the asides in their papers about what photographers did back then. I can understand a clip test of a new batch of films or plates but they did a "fog" test by developing an unexposed piece of the film with the clip test.

Regards, David

If you love Polaroids, check out that Pyramids book by Mike Slack… the photos are well done and the book is even better. Beautiful. Bookdepository has it and should be able to ship it to your area easily.

I have seen his Polaroid (web only!) which are really good. Colours and framing. I'll add the book to my wish list...
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Back