latest additions to your library

I've picked up the Lewis Baltz Steidl and a used copy of Judy Fiskin's Some aesthetic Decisions, which is excellent.

Also couldn't put down Calvin Tomkins' biography of Marcel Duchamp.

Paul Ickovic "In Transit" and "Safe Conduct". Old books by a photographer I recently discovered.

"The World Atlas of Street Photography". How to put this.... If this is the best street photography the world has to offer, we should dig up the streets. Just a mess!

Ernst Haas, New York in Color, 1952 - 1962

This is my most recent acquisition. A superb book. Some of the abstract compositions Haas found above eye level in New York are genius. I have always been a great fan of his and never have had so many photographs of his in one book to look at. I have long admired a photograph of a blue car with rear wheel's hub cap floating in the dark sea, and through the open car windows a painting on the side-walk and above it a man rushing forwards. Such energy and emotion and intelligence.

Stephen Shore - Transparencies - Small Camera Works 1971-1979
Daido Moriyama - Farewell Photography
Teju Cole - Golden Apple of the Sun
Shawn Records - Hero
Tim Davis - I'm looking through you
etc...

Sergio Larrain "London 1959"
Guido Guidi "Cinque Viaggi"
Photo No-Nos by Jason Fulford
William Eggleston "The Outlands"
Gregoire Puade-Lauraine "Double Orbit"
Ricardo Cases "Estudio Elemental Del Levante"

A book on the Kodak Retina IIc/IIIc cameras and accessories, for those so interested:

The Anatomy of the Kodak Retina by Dr. David L. Jentz

Available from Blurb (linked above) for $25. It's a nicely presented book based on two Kodak A.G. documents presenting the Retina system dating to about 1956. Jentz has revised it for a third time at the beginning of this year, 2021.

G

"Sagacity" Fulvio Ventura.
"Somersault" Raymond Meeks.
"Roger the Rat" Roger Ballen.
"Please Don't Smile" and "Side Walk" Frank Horvat.

Thin.

The photos are good but there's not many of them. The Ventura website has more from the Sagacity project than the book. Otherwise, I like the book and Ventura's work.

Thank you. Yeah, I saw that it was thin on photos, but I got a discount and went for it. Unfortunately, I had to have it shipped to the USA so I'll have to wait.

Recent for me:

"Somersault" Raymond Meeks
"Side Walk" Frank Horvat
"El Mapa y el territorio" Luigi Ghirri
"were it not for" Michael Ashkin
"Rauber" Josh Kern
"I can't stand to see you cry" Rahim Fortune
"Peter Fraser" Peter Fraser
"Red Eye to New York" Janet Delaney
"After" Martin Kollar
Terre a Lamende" Mark Power
"Harry Gruyaert" Harry Gruyaert
Cristobel Hara - 1985-2020
"At Night Gardens Grow" Paul Guilmoth
"Please Notify the Sun" Stephen Gill
a bunch of Cafe Royal zines... and a few more I can't think of now.

I have to relax soon... shelves are filling up.

Two recent ones that merit mentioning:

"Richard Benson: The World is Smarter Than You Are". Benson was something of a hero to me since printing for Paul Strand. Also for Benson's knowledge of printing processes detailed in the book "The Printed Picture". This particular book is a look back at Benson's photography and a bit of his life. I found it interesting but, then again, I'm a big fan of the guy.

"American Geography" by Matt Black. This is one of those projects that produced some superb photographs but overall it kinda leaves me unsatisfied. The book feels over designed, too slick and polished. Did we really need pages of empty cigarette packages, twisted wires and signs used by homeless people? And the photos, as great as they are in image and print quality, sometimes seem contrived. This is gritty subject matter that I felt could have been served more appropriately with less slickness and more edginess. But there's no denying the photography is beautiful.

Back