latest additions to your library

Robert Frank "good days Quiet" : Franks focus is life inside and outside his beloved weather-beaten wooden house in Mabou, where he has spent summers for decades with his wife June Leaf. from the Steidl description of the book

https://steidl.de/Books/good-days-Qu...D=aRglW5Zc03d6

I picked that up some months ago as promised .... very enjoyable .
Low key nothing contrived a very singular vision .

"American Geography" by Matt Black. This is one of those projects that produced some superb photographs but overall it kinda leaves me unsatisfied. The book feels over designed, too slick and polished. Did we really need pages of empty cigarette packages, twisted wires and signs used by homeless people? And the photos, as great as they are in image and print quality, sometimes seem contrived. This is gritty subject matter that I felt could have been served more appropriately with less slickness and more edginess. But there's no denying the photography is beautiful.

Oh you think that is bad? I got the special edition version that is 2 feet long and in a box. I did not
read the dimensions and I hate it. I had to put it in my closet because it does not fit anywhere. He certainly went all out but I cannot help but have some of the same feelings as you.

Last edited:
"American Geography" by Matt Black. This is one of those projects that produced some superb photographs but overall it kinda leaves me unsatisfied. The book feels over designed, too slick and polished. Did we really need pages of empty cigarette packages, twisted wires and signs used by homeless people? And the photos, as great as they are in image and print quality, sometimes seem contrived. This is gritty subject matter that I felt could have been served more appropriately with less slickness and more edginess. But there's no denying the photography is beautiful.

Having researched this guy, i find that he has, with this book shown the very raw side of his country. What was interesting, but did not shock me was this......."Photographer Matt Black’s five cross-country routes. From 2014 to 2020, beginning in his hometown in California’s Central Valley, Matt Black travelled over 100,000 miles across 46 states, taking routes that allowed him to cross the country without ever crossing above the poverty line. Each dot on the map represents a city or town in which more than 1 in 5 people live in poverty, the federally-defined threshold of 20% for a high-poverty area. Each community is separated by no more than a two-hour drive."

May be worth purchasing. Cheers.

Having researched this guy, i find that he has, with this book shown the very raw side of his country. What was interesting, but did not shock me was this......."Photographer Matt Black’s five cross-country routes. From 2014 to 2020, beginning in his hometown in California’s Central Valley, Matt Black travelled over 100,000 miles across 46 states, taking routes that allowed him to cross the country without ever crossing above the poverty line. Each dot on the map represents a city or town in which more than 1 in 5 people live in poverty, the federally-defined threshold of 20% for a high-poverty area. Each community is separated by no more than a two-hour drive."

May be worth purchasing. Cheers.

Oh completely, but once you see the book, you might feel the same way as us. It does not mean we do not think the project is fantastic and powerful. Of course we already knew what the project was about before buying. The poverty tag line has been used a lot when referring to the project.

Two recent ones that merit mentioning:

"Richard Benson: The World is Smarter Than You Are". Benson was something of a hero to me since printing for Paul Strand. Also for Benson's knowledge of printing processes detailed in the book "The Printed Picture". This particular book is a look back at Benson's photography and a bit of his life. I found it interesting but, then again, I'm a big fan of the guy.

I watched one these new young ,mainly film ,photographers do a favorite books review recently.
All he seemed to talk about was how the books were constructed and how they felt in the hand .
He seemed to place great importance on their portability .
Never once did he mention the photographs .

I found it very odd .

I just pre-ordered a signed copy of Alec Soth’s new book “A Pound of Pictures”.
My favorite online photo book shop, www.artbooksonline.eu, also had a few books by Bill Owens and Robert Adams with good discounts so I filled up the basket to get free shipping.

My most recent purchases:

- Jim Jocoy Order of Appearance. Colour photographs from 1977-1980, taken in SF. Published by TBW Books. Very enjoyable.

- Roger A Deakins Byways. Black and white photographs, many from rural England in the 1970s, but other eras and locations represented too. Beautiful stuff. Deakins is a cinematographer who worked on a number of Coen Brothers movies.

I have a couple more books on order, which I expect to arrive any day now. They're more on the gear side of things:

- Robert Shanebrook Making Kodak Film (2nd ed)

- Gerjan van Oosten The Definitive Asahi Pentax Screw Mount Guide 1952 - 1977

Latest charity shop find - great pictures in it.

AVvXsEiEwSpXUdwavflGVOB0gzx1I-aVXWMpBvZ2M1qtWwTbxMcMNHicf7c1rLyq2BFj7W67C1wHxlq17iyltKHQoJXQ0rYoQM9et6vYhRDXiKsVTe6ye6bmYPMQv0149tgEapgEhYS4Ue9F-WxeCvArS8vQRkDKA448YPB-PX4IFHJVSiOYHzBI-84yJpYd=s600

My copy of Byways, a collection of still photography by cinematographer Roger Deakins came in in December. I've not yet made my way through it. Some very good photos but also many I would have cut out.

I moved to a neighboring town a year ago this month to be with my partner. I'm in a new public library system and they have a copy of The Americans by Robert Frank. Before we lived together my partner checked it out for me so we could look at it together. This past weekend, with a library card of my own, I checked it out again and am going to spend the rest of the month revisiting it.

Two books on two photographers I knew little about until recently. First, "Sabine Weiss, Exhibition Catalog", from 2016. A very good retrospective look at her work and history. As most here know, she died recently. I had only seen a few of her photos over the years. She was one of the greats.

Another great was Izis. Not nearly as well known to me as the other "humanist photographers" of the time but just as gifted. The book, "Captive Dreams: Photographs 1944-1980". The man "had eyes" to borrow a term from Kerouac.

Latest charity shop find. I am going through it now. Great pictures in there although I am more attracted to the classic ones of the early magnum members.
20220116_113803.jpg

I have bought a bunch of books on Vivian Maier. I like her work and she is an interesting person. And, no doubt, she appeals to a secret fantasy that I, too, will someday be recognized as a great photographer. You can bet against that happening but I am sure I am not the only one who has that fantasy on this board. Like the line from South Pacific, "If you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?" ;o)

Wanted to share my recent discovery of a Spanish photographer ; Ramón Masats. Love many a great black and white images of 'slice of life' from throughout Spain town and villages These small pocket size books are published by Photo Bolsillo.

Attachments

• photo113094.jpg
    photo113094.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo113095.jpg
    photo113095.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo113096.jpg
    photo113096.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo113097.jpg
    photo113097.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 0
A baker’s dozen of Camera magazine, non-continuous, 1967-72, for £5, or a little more than twice the original three-and-a-tanner, but I suppose that’s inflation for you.

“How would you like to take pictures without using film? To own a colour television set so thin that you could hang it on the wall? To possess a family photo album that could hold several thousand pictures?”

Utter balderdash- it’ll never happen.

Stephen Shore - Modern Instances
Luigi Ghirri - Puglia
Ulrich Wust - Stadtbilder
Mark Cohen - Frame
Alec Soth - A Pound of Pictures
Saul Leiter - Early Black and White

Back