latest additions to your library

This one is really different - "The Photographer's Cookbook," with photos and recipes from lots of famous and not-so-famous photographers, compiled in the 1970s for the Eastman Museum. The raw materials were filed away, unpublished, until it was found and published in 2016. This Aperture book is quite a sleeper. The photographs of food and food related scenes are really good and the recipes are interesting and sometimes quite funny. I gave it to my wife (a great cook) but have read it twice myself.

If you look it up, the cover photo is Edward Weston's Kitchen and the back cover photo is by William Eggleston.

641F6C92-166F-407E-9D0B-D2AE3CA91066.jpeg

From 1966. Photobook with mostly images of dead and dying bulls from the bullrings by French photographer Clerge.

Ordered a couple more of the small print books from Cafe Royal. I like them, and when I leave the ones I have sitting around, other people like looking at them as well. Neat little publisher.

Snow Canvas: Ski Men And Mountains With The Leica, Stefan Kruckenhauser (1), 1937, English edition of a German original. Great photos, but like so many similar books this makes me deeply uneasy, portraying a contended and heathy nation when we all know what was going on in Germany at the time, and how much worse things would soon become. How many owners of those happy, smiling faces would go on to die at Stalingrad? Ski Heil! as the introduction closes.

(1) Am 1. März 1939 beantragte er die Aufnahme in die NSDAP und wurde am 1. Januar 1940 aufgenommen (Mitgliedsnummer 7.883.709).

DSC_6681.JPG

I've lately been in a Willy Ronis mood. Two of my recent purchases, "Mon Paris" and "Willy Ronis: The Master Photographer's Unpublished Albums".

Thomas Demand - The Dailies
Guido Guidi - Sguincio 1969-81
William Eggleston - Mystery of the Ordinary
Lewis Baltz - Candlestick Point
Saul Leiter - published by Kehrer Verlag
Herman Ellis Dyal - The Things Not Seen are Eternal
and I am sure a few others...

Alpine Legacy by Thomas Crauwels small edition book. Not quite the 30x40cm glass plate photos by Vittorio Sella, but great (predominantly) long lens modern digital photos of many of Europe's most iconic peaks
IMG_7201.JPG

Did I ever mention "The Climbers Book" The Climbers - Photo book by Jim Herrington A tour-de-force by well known Nashville music-scene photographer Jim Herrington. An award winning book the result of a decades-long private project.

After seeing some of the photographs you have posted I have been wondering what books you might recommend, and there are two today!

For some reason last month I was reading about Tony Smythe’s book about his father, Frank Smythe. Well, I finished that book a few days ago and have begun Frank Smythe’s book(s) and Eric Shipton’s book(s), below. H. W. Tilman’s book(s) will be after that.

recent additions,
My Father, Frank, The Forgotten Alpinist, by Tony Smythe, 2013
The Six Alpine/Himalayan Climbing Books, by Frank Smythe, 2000
The Six Mountain-Travel Books, by Eric Shipton, 1985
The Seven Mountain-Travel Books, by H. W. Tilman, 1983
The Eight Sailing/Mountain-Exploration Books, by H. W. Tilman, 1987

I will look into the two you mentioned today. Thank you.

Back