latest additions to your library

After seeing some of the photographs you have posted I have been wondering what books you might recommend, and there are two today!

For some reason last month I was reading about Tony Smythe’s book about his father, Frank Smythe. Well, I finished that book a few days ago and have begun Frank Smythe’s book(s) and Eric Shipton’s book(s), below. H. W. Tilman’s book(s) will be after that.

recent additions,
My Father, Frank, The Forgotten Alpinist, by Tony Smythe, 2013
The Six Alpine/Himalayan Climbing Books, by Frank Smythe, 2000
The Six Mountain-Travel Books, by Eric Shipton, 1985
The Seven Mountain-Travel Books, by H. W. Tilman, 1983
The Eight Sailing/Mountain-Exploration Books, by H. W. Tilman, 1987

I will look into the two you mentioned today. Thank you.
Dervla, I would highly recommend (a a modern view on history) Wade Davis, Into The Silence. It is well-written and perhaps the very best at putting Himalayan exploration in historic context.
I also just finished "The Duke of Abruzzi" by Mirella Tenderini. The Duke was without doubt one of the greatest explorers of the late 19th/early 20th centuries. He led the first ascent of Mount Saint Elian in 1897, explored the Ruwenzori, explored the Karakorum and got to 6200m on K2. Got to within 100 meters (7498 m / 24599 ft) of the summit of Chogolisa in 1906. In 1900, Reached a record of 86° 94 N in an attempt on the North Pole. He led a fascinating life. During WWI he was the Commander-in-Chief of the Italian Navy.

Dervla, I would highly recommend (a a modern view on history) Wade Davis, Into The Silence. It is well-written and perhaps the very best at putting Himalayan exploration in historic context.
I also just finished "The Duke of Abruzzi" by Mirella Tenderini. The Duke was without doubt one of the greatest explorers of the late 19th/early 20th centuries. He led the first ascent of Mount Saint Elian in 1897, explored the Ruwenzori, explored the Karakorum and got to 6200m on K2. Got to within 100 meters (7498 m / 24599 ft) of the summit of Chogolisa in 1906. In 1900, Reached a record of 86° 94 N in an attempt on the North Pole. He led a fascinating life. During WWI he was the Commander-in-Chief of the Italian Navy.

Deardorff38, Thank you. I ordered both the Wade Davis and the Mirella Tenderini.

This won't be my first post in this thread, as I'm a pretty avid photobook bibliophile. But this just arrived in the mail today:

Earlie Hudnall Jr.: Drawn to Communities

Excellent, powerful work that transcends documentation, by an under-recognized master of American photography. Barry Jenkins and James Laxton, the director and cinematographer of Moonlight, cited Hudnall's work as a big influence on their visual style in the film.

Jason Fulford - The Heart is a Sandwich
Ricardo Cases - el porqué de las naranjas
Phil Jung - Windscreen
Tim Carpenter - To Photograph is to Learn to Die
Robert Lyons - Zero Line Boundary

Just received the last issue (Spring 2023) of Reporters sans Frontières dédicated to Abbas. 100 photos to admire. An immense photographer.

Gered Mankowitz Rock and Roll Photography. A purchase occasioned by a rerun of the excellent Icon: Music Through the Lens on Sky Arts. And who amongst us does not wonder if we've been in the wrong job these forty years?

DSC_6916.JPG

My recent additions to other people's libraries....

Michael Freeman Medium Format Manual. Given to a work colleague who has just bought a Mamiya 645.

Great Railway Photographs by Eric Treacy, and , non photographically, Marc Morris Castles. Given to a neighbour's 5 year old grandson. And what small boy, be he 5 or 105, doesn't love steam trains or castles?

And relevant to this website, if anyone'e after a copy of Rangefinder by the late Roger Hicks, there's a copy in the Oxfam shop in Holmfirth.

Charlie Waite. In my mind's eye. Seeing in black and white.
John Maloof. Vivian Maier. Street photographer.
And the latest issue of Black and White Photography magazine. Issue 278.

BJP Annual 1964. Very good condition for a 60 year old book. The dust jacket is yellowing slightly at the edges, but shows no tears. Includes portfolio by up-and-coming young lad by the name of David Bailey.

DSC_7145.JPG

Another issue of Reporters sans Frontières, this time about Brassaï, which I am more less discovering...

Another occasion to make my pitch for contributing to supporting Reporters sans Frontières...

Tuna, I ordered the Koudelka book just today.
It’s a great background book of how Koudelka operated throughout his career and is filled with much to like. I’m taking my time with it and have just started but his early contact sheets shown are fantastic.

Recently a good friend, passionate photographer introduced me at the work of Damien Daufresne.
In occasion of his presence in Milan for a book signing I bought "Undertow"
Undertow - Damien Daufresne • Micamera Bookstore

If you like B&W and a photography which speaks of memories and emotions I suggest it.
If you only like documentary photography perhaps it is not the book for you, but can give you new ideas :)

Anyway in both cases a visit to his site is inspiring, containing many interesting works, documentary included, in an excellent B&W.
And there are also drawings and paintings, he is a quite eclectic guy!

https://www.damiendaufresne.com/
his Vimeo Channel: Damien Daufresne

Back