My M9-P has gone in for a sensor replacement

I use tools to fix things and cameras to take photographs ;)

Hopefully you choose the most appropriate tool as well as the most appropriate camera/lens/tripod/lighting solutions for the tasks at hand.

Of course the tasks are extremely different, but the analogy holds because the using the best tool for repairs or the right camera for the photograph you wish to take is simply common sense.

I'm going through the repair process right now actually, my M9 has been sitting at Leica NJ for the last two months (sent it in at the end of August); initially they gave me a 1 month turnaround time to replace the dials on my camera which were sticky, but they've actually discovered that the sensor has corrosion on it. I was told earlier this week, when I called Leica customer support, that they're still waiting to get new sensors and the customer support rep informed me that the earliest they might be getting sensors is January 2016. I'm hoping for earlier so that I can use the camera over the holidays, but potentially I'll be out a camera for 4/5 months.

It's a bit disappointing honestly.

I brought my M9P to Leica NJ on September 7, and heard nothing for 2 months. I called them around November 15, and was told the same as you -- that they're expecting a shipment of sensors in January -- but that I'm far enough back in the queue that my camera probably wouldn't get one from that batch, and they don't know when the next lot will arrive.

I made some sad noises along the lines of "what will I do for photography for the next 6 months??" and then half-jokingly said "I don't suppose you have any loaners around, do you?" To my surprise, the man said they happened to have a couple at the moment. A few days later, I received a nice M240 to use while I wait for Germany to decide that NJ is worthy of a few more M9 sensors.

Anyway, if your camera doesn't get fixed in January, it might be worth asking for a loaner.

::Ari

Emailing Leica about the M9 bodies again today, my last message seems to have gotten lost in the post-holiday inbox overflow. the MP returned yesterday, I guess the film division repair line has less work right now…

update: Roxana at Leica NJ was out of office Thursday and Friday. And the MP is nicer than ever.

I've had spots on both M9s for a while that I can't clean off. One body went in about a year and a half or two years ago for a flash sync problem ... The flash sync problem was traced to an old battery (from my first M8).

Very interesting. My M-E, bought new, had flash sync issues from day 1. Sometimes the images were ok, other times the flash clearly fired after the shutter had closed resulting in a blank image. Sometimes the images were half exposed. The Leica SF24D flash that I used was bought used cheap, so I thought that maybe it was an issue w/ the flash. So I bought another used cheap SF24D and that too did not work correctly with the M-E.
Both flashes work perfectly on every other camera I have, including my M240, M7, M5, M3, various Nikons and Minoltas! Even worked on my current artist's Canon 5DMkIII!
So the issue was with the M-E, and possibly the battery. What is curious though was I never had any battery issues - it would always charge, hold the charge, and could be used for hundreds of exposures before needing re-charging. Hmmm.
(sorry for the thread jack!)

So the issue was with the M-E, and possibly the battery. What is curious though was I never had any battery issues - it would always charge, hold the charge, and could be used for hundreds of exposures before needing re-charging.

This battery of mine is also trouble free when shooting without flash. Charges well, holds a charge plenty well, all good. And it's old. But add the flash and every third frame is black.

Heard from Leica today on the replacement : "Both cameras are still here awaiting sensor replacement. The process can take 3-4 months from when received." So that puts me in the February to March category.

This battery of mine is also trouble free when shooting without flash. Charges well, holds a charge plenty well, all good. And it's old. But add the flash and every third frame is black.

Heard from Leica today on the replacement : "Both cameras are still here awaiting sensor replacement. The process can take 3-4 months from when received." So that puts me in the February to March category.

Sorry about that delay. Same happened to me which is why I moved on to the M240. I cannot be w/o it for that long.

About the flash sync - my battery was new so it must have been faulty from day 1, but I never thought about it as it worked perfectly for non flash photos. Good to know for future reference in case I encounter something like this again.

My M9 is off to Leica NJ today via my dealer. Not sure if it's the corrosion issue or if it's something else but I guess I'm hoping it's the corrosion so Leica will cover it. With my chumpy luck it will not be the case. The info above is nice and informative (at least for a newer Leica owner) so I figured I'll add my experience as it unfolds as well.

I've joined the club

I've joined the club

I bought my M9-P in October last year and took it to Camera Clinic two weeks ago for a sensor clean only to be told it has Sensor corrosion. I was offered a chance to upgrade but the cost was too high so now I wait for a new sensor.

Camera Clinic has quoted me 4 to 6 weeks for the replacement sensor, there aren't any in Australia apparently so we wait for one from Germany. While I am happy that Leica will replace the sensor for free, I am sad to be without the camera I have waited so long to own.

Two weeks!

Two weeks!

Amazing, a day after I posted about having my M9-P in for a Replacement sensor I got a call saying it was done, it's one of the new generation sensors so I am a very happy chap.

1.202 is the last public update. AFAIK, 1.204 is for the new sensor. I got my M9 back in Oct 2015 after a 4-month vacation at Leica NJ for sensor replacement, and it has the 1.204 firmware.

On a different note, does anyone know if the new sensor is available for the original Monochrom ? thanks.

On a different note, does anyone know if the new sensor is available for the original Monochrom ? thanks.

I've read a report that a European Monochrom user sent his body to Wetzlar for sensor replacement and received confirmation that he was getting the sensor with the new cover glass. I've not heard anything about Leica New Jersey having the new sensors.

Today I had an email exchange with the service manager at Leica NJ regarding sensor replacement for my Monochrom. He put my name in the service queue and thinks it will be about 4 months before my turn comes up due to slow delivery of the components. I asked about the sensors with the new cover glass and he said that is what they are now using.

I'm surprised they are taking so long on this. I thought once they had the solution, they would get a nice big batch made and send them out, then get caught up.

I sent my M9 in on Jan 19th to check for corrosion. Got a call from Sarah today that my sensor is fine and on its way back to me. She said it had been cleaned, adjusted and the leatherette replaced free of charge.
Not a bad way to treat a customer.

I sent my M9 in on Jan 19th to check for corrosion. Got a call from Sarah today that my sensor is fine and on its way back to me. She said it had been cleaned, adjusted and the leatherette replaced free of charge.
Not a bad way to treat a customer.

It's nice to hear a story with a very happy ending.

Got an email from Leica NJ yesterday that my M9-P is ready for pickup, after 5 months in the shop! Excited to get my camera back, but apprehensive that it might be a let-down when I return the M240 loaner...

Got my camera back! Here's what I notice right off the bat:
- The M240 has better controls/layout.
- The M9-P is noticeably lighter and less bulky in the hand.
- The M9-P's shutter cocking sounds loud and screechy now! The M240 is much quieter.
- The LCD is much better on the M240, and the histogram is more readable -- this makes a real difference in practice.
- The M9-P came back with the same rubbery leatherette as the M240 has -- I really miss the beautiful, knobby vulcanite!! :(

But overall, I'm fine with the M9-P, and not overly sad to give back the M240 loaner. :)

That new vulcanite is very different, almost sticky. I've gotten used to it, and kinda like it. Still no word on my girls, hoping that I'll hear something next week, the 4 month anniversary of their visit to Leicaland NJ.

I just found out my M9's sensor will be covered by Leica. Relieved. 8 weeks until it's done though. Worth the wait, I'd say.

Back