Site migration status and updates

The new forum works great for me. I had no issues resetting my password. I see some of the profile information on the left of each post has gone missing but it's no big.
Thank you MPguy and Stephen for looking after us.

MP Guy, thank you a 1,000 times over. A few years ago, RFF used to be one of my most daily visited sites, but the last big change made it too frustrating to visit. This new site is looking very good. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was the worst excuse for a log-in I have ever experienced. If you weren't going to allow folks to use their old RFF password, then why was all the other information such as Username and e-mail ported over? Will XenForo now be able to use that information to make money off it? And why if it was all going to be rejected in the Password Reset process was it even necessary for XenForo to have it in first place?

It's not a good thing that all my personal information is now tied up with my old username (I had to add a 2 to it to keep some identity) but is not kept as record for my new username. All those posts counts and my original join date no longer visible or retrievable. I refuse to give this site anymore personal information under my Profile listing since XenForo holds the old information out of sight now. I also hope to not live long enough to have to go through another one of these "seamless" software remakes ever again.

PF

Last edited:
That was the worst excuse for a log-in I have ever experienced. If you weren't going to allow folks to use their old RFF password, then why was all the other information such as Username and e-mail ported over? Will XenForo now be able to use that information to make money off it? And why if it was all going to be rejected in the Password Reset process was it even necessary for XenForo to have it in first place?

I hope to not live long enough to have to go through another one of these "seamless" software remakes ever again.

PF

First of all rff does not share username or emails with anyone. How you came up with the idea that xenforo has this data is beyond me, especially since rff is self hosted on its own dedicated server. Not a VM, not a VPS, Not a docker container but it's own hardware.

The fact that we managed to get this migration done from one software suite to another with minimal impact is pretty impressive.

Lastly, if you would like contribute money and support a software engineering team solely dedicated to support this free to use website, I would be more than glad to accept it.

JT

First of all rff does not share username or emails with anyone. How you came up with the idea that xenforo has this data is beyond me, especially since rff is self hosted on its own dedicated server. Not a VM, not a VPS, Not a docker container but it's own hardware.

The fact that we managed to get this migration done from one software suite to another with minimal impact is pretty impressive.

Lastly, if you would like contribute money and support a software engineering team solely dedicated to support this free to use website, I would be more than glad to accept it.

JT
You know, you could fix that by just adding a Donate button in the Members Only section.

PF

Reactions: dct

It's not a good thing that all my personal information is now tied up with my old username (I had to add a 2 to it to keep some identity) but is not kept as record for my new username. All those posts counts and my original join date no longer visible or retrievable. I refuse to give this site anymore personal information under my Profile listing since XenForo holds the old information out of sight now. I also hope to not live long enough to have to go through another one of these "seamless" software remakes ever again.

PF
Pretty sure problems with original usernames is solved. Several other issues had this issue solved as well and can log in without issue. Might pay to just ask first before jumping to conclusions.

I didn't lose my username or any other data. I just did a password reset and all is fine.

Sorry to hear that some others have had greater difficulties. But given the size of RFF (it's pages, number of users, etc) and the depth of the features it supports, I can only marvel that JT could move it so seamlessly and quickly to different BB server software and with so few problems.

Relax, take it slow, sort out the difficulties one by one.

G

Again, I have to commend the work done here.

No issues other then having to reset my password twice, but that might of been me.

This site is speed and I suffer no difficulties.

Someone (MP Guy) did a great job. He really cleaned up a huge mess.

Cal

Site works great, plus the time from when I heard we were going to get an[other] upgrade to when it happened was really quick! I was coming here less just because it was so difficult sometimes to even get on. Thank you, and great job! Great way to start 2023.

Nice work in moving things over and cleaning things. I did a couple times many many many years ago (BBS era) and it was not fun. Good job! BTW, my password migration was renrewed with no problems.

I think that I 'jumped the gun' when I reset my password. My 'new' log-in name is one which I had forgotten existed. But which RFF had stashed away in its mind.
Brilliant site, very smooth and fast, like it!!!!
D.Lox.

So far, so good. But is there a way to change how threads are displayed to show most recent post first?

Chris

Pretty sure problems with original usernames is solved. Several other issues had this issue solved as well and can log in without issue. Might pay to just ask first before jumping to conclusions.
The problem was I couldn't do anything until I created a new membership as the new software refused to let me use my old username and e-mail address, and it didn't send out the Reset e-mail like it said it did. So how else was I to get back on the Forum? After reading all the problems others had, creating a new membership was clearly the only option I was afforded. I see my old username still exists in all the posts I created so what was I to assume, other than that XenForo now has that info to use? I never saw anything about that just being the software, not a portal provider. I couldn't sign in on the Test site either, so it was quite a shock to me when the old RFF up and disappeared. I had to do an Internet search to find the new site and got no response when I twice reported my issues. I'm a bit upset over all that had to transpire just to get back on the forum, and the way it was looking like it was going to be just like the last migration taking forever for anything to get fixed or completed. Yes, the new site works fast (at least the parts that actually work). I'll get over being upset, but I had to let off some steam. That's how frustrating it was to use the previous RFF, and I had a lot of pent-up steam.

PF

Jbf;
I can assure you the problem with original user names is far from fixed, I for one still cannot go back to my original, so I have lost my gallery and all my history so still far from happy.
I am not the only one either.
I was not a prolific poster but RFF was about the only place on the net that I trusted enough to post photos and now everyone else can see them but I cannot access my own gallery.
I guess if I cannot get back to my trix4ever user name I will just have to insist my old gallery be deleted and move on.
I have just registered with the Leica forum in case this does not get any better.
All the best, Mark

I can assume I owe a big Thank You to MP Guy for restoring my username. Tried once again this evening to reset the old password and once again I got no reply, not even in my Junk folder. Nor did I get a message that the restoration had been done, just an Error that username farlymac2 did not exist when I went to log-in a few minutes ago. Had to check out my Profile to see what it said, and everything looks okey-doke.

PF

Making progress on email.

30% of email is deferred or not making it. In some cased its being blocked, in other it is being throttled by the recipients servers.

I think we have some changes to do on the backend here for an email that matched the domain. once we get that in place, we should be good.

So hang tight!

As an aside, the funniest thing I've seen for a while was in the Captcha human verification. It asked the user to identify all photos of pandas in lounge rooms, and presented a grid of images including penguins and raccoons, as well as pandas in the wild but NOT in lounge rooms. Whoever creates those Captcha tests has a sense of humour.

great job so far, a couple hitches but am testing gallery and will wait since it's mostly good all day

I had a lot of trouble logging back in. But, that was my problem! I forgot what email address I had used for this site. Once I realized I used a secondary email address things worked! I'm back! So ignore my messages to the 'Contact us' link at the bottom of the screen.

The move to Zenforo software has totally revitalized use of RFF! Bravo! It's been reliable these past couple of days since the switchover the way it hasn't been for most of the year preceding it. Kudos to the team doing the update! :D

G

Back