W/NW: Whisky, Whiskey

Not my photos, but I thought this was on topic. Photographer Ernie Button began this project a few years ago, but it's being featured in the upcoming July issue of National Geographic:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...ook-like-planets-but-they-are-whisky-glasses/

According to this article, there's an interesting phenomenon happening as the whisky evaporates:
The photographer began working with a team of five scientists from Princeton who together performed a series of experiments. They found that the patterns are caused by surfactant molecules that lower the liquid’s surface tension. As a drop evaporates, the molecules collect and create a tension gradient that pulls liquid into abstract shapes (this is known as the Marangoni effect).

Today (May 18th, 2019) is World Whisky Day! Sláinte, cheers, kanpai, or however you toast in your native tongue!

Here's an image taken through the viewfinder of my Nikomat FTn, mostly as a visual note of the shutter speed.

IMG_20181026_004910
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Really enjoying your whisky shots. The Nikka Coffey Grain is excellent whisky, and unfortunately discontinued. I have a few bottles I bought over the years and have on reserve for special occasion, but now they are worth so much its hard to justify drinking them!

Really enjoying your whisky shots. The Nikka Coffey Grain is excellent whisky, and unfortunately discontinued. I have a few bottles I bought over the years and have on reserve for special occasion, but now they are worth so much its hard to justify drinking them!

Thanks, WJJ3! The Nikka Coffey Grain also one of my favorites, and I was disappointed to hear of its discontinuation. I have a bottle saved as well. Oddly enough, it was still available at a local store last time I checked, for a completely reasonable price of ~$55 USD. Maybe I should buy one or two more bottles just to be on the safe side. :D

Yokosuka, Japan - My kitchen
September 2019

Kirin Whisky "Fuji-Sanroku" (alcohol 50%)

This is one of the best Japanese whiskys for the price (about $15.00 USD) and you're lucky if you can find it now because Kirin discontinued making it and the last shipments were sent out in March 2019; hence my two bottles in reserve. Kirin is still producing their “signature blend” version of this whisky but that sells for about $54.00 USD. The Signature Blend is outstanding but the price is something that stops me from buying it as a daily sipping whisky. Although since I recently went from being a daily sipper to a weekend only sipper I might be able to rationalize the more expensive blend when my cheap stuff runs out. See how easy that works!

SDIM8171.jpg

SDIM8168.jpg

Sigma SD1 Merrill
Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro lens

All the best,
Mike

Yokosuka, Japan - My kitchen
September 2019

Kirin Whisky "Fuji-Sanroku" (alcohol 50%)

This is one of the best Japanese whiskys for the price (about $15.00 USD) and you're lucky if you can find it now because Kirin discontinued making it and the last shipments were sent out in March 2019; hence my two bottles in reserve. Kirin is still producing their “signature blend” version of this whisky but that sells for about $54.00 USD. The Signature Blend is outstanding but the price is something that stops me from buying it as a daily sipping whisky. Although since I recently went from being a daily sipper to a weekend only sipper I might be able to rationalize the more expensive blend when my cheap stuff runs out. See how easy that works!

SDIM8171.jpg

SDIM8168.jpg

Sigma SD1 Merrill
Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX DG Macro lens

All the best,
Mike

$15USD?! Even $54USD isn't unreasonable. Lots of popular Japanese whisky bottlings have been discontinued in recent years. In its place, I've seen a lot of new, unknown labels. Hard to tell what might actually be good, and what is just capitalizing on the popularity of Japanese whisky. I've read some new bottlings are just imported Scotch, finished in casks in Japan, and then marketed as Japanese whisky.

In any case, I also have some "reserve" bottles of Japanese whiskies that are now discontinued. :p

Sigma Sd Quattro
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 DC "Contemporary" lens (25mm-105mm on Sd Quattro)
Yokosuka, Japan - October 2019

The whisky that never disappoints.

SDIM4112.jpg

All the best,
Mike

Glenmorangie recently changed the formula for The Quinta Ruban, increasing the age statement from 12 to 14 years (but keeping the price the same!). A local retailer selected it as their "Whisky of the Month" with a 10% off coupon, so I decided to take the plunge and give it a try. But first, a whisky portrait! :D
https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/25524/glenmorangie-quinta-ruban-ups-age-statement/

Nikon FM2n, Nikkor-S Auto 55mm f/1.2, Ultrafine Xtreme 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2019.10.10 Roll #223-04067-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back