What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

• Epson RD1 family - all models

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Leica M8 / 8u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica M8.2

• Leica M9

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M9-P

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Leica MM

• Leica M-E

• Leica M240 family

• Leica M-P

• Leica M60

• Leica M10

• Leica M10-P

• Leica M10-Monochrom

• Leica M10-R

• Pixii

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Leica M11

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M11 Monochrome

• Total voters
Finally got my hands on a digital rangefinder. Previously the best I could do was Sony E-mount. So my favourite is an Epson R-D1 - but the field for me was small, coz its hard to either spend a LOT of money for an old digital, or EVEN MORE money for a fairly new one, when until the M(10 for those convinced) the early digital Leicas were trouble-prone. I have an old Pentax dSLR with the same sensor as the R-D1, and Epson have managed to make that sensor sing even compared to Pentax, who by the time they built mine were on their 4th generation of camera with the same sensor. And that was after the R-D1.

I've updated my camera choice: Sold the M-P and kept the M-D typ 262. This is my camera; they made it for me. Absolutely delighted with it.

Of course, it's not on the poll. :D

G

Still very happy with the M9-P, but the original Monochrom is more exciting and a slightly better camera, smoother shutter release and shutter for some reason. Sometimes the prints are quite miraculous. I like the idea of the true M10, the recent one, but I will be sticking with what I have until I have to get something new.

I don't have a digital rangefinder, but if I did it would most likely be the first MM, followed by the M9. Looking at image examples online, it seems the CCD sensor has more of a look I like compared to the CMOS.

I currently use a Sigma Merrill compact (not a rangefinder) - now for digital, those files are the best I've seen. The camera is a serious pain though. My biggest issue is nowhere to plug in a shutter release.

I owned an M9-P for a short while last year and it was fantastic. Unfortunately it had the sensor issue and was a Leica NJ for a little over 3 months. I sold it very shortly after getting it back. Although I loved the digital M platform, I didn't like that a camera of this level is prone to failure and that I could potentially see the problem again. So now I'm back to shooting film on an M. Maybe someday I'll get a 262 or M10 when 2 or 3 newer models come out and drive down current prices.

I've just managed to get hold of a secondhand M262 - my first full frame digital. I've nothing to compare it to, and it doesn't appear in the poll, but it is pretty much everything I could have hoped for. I did consider a used M9 or M240 but leapt at the M262 when it became available.

For my kind of photography the M10 is all I could desire/need.
I never owned any other digital M.
robert

I also have a M10, and it is really a joy to use with fantastic image quality. However, my all time favourite is still the Epson R-D1. Can't beat the feeling of that camera.

Cosina built the camera Leica never did - 13 years ago ;)

+1 for the R-D1 because of it is what it is until theses days.

Leica Monochrom 246. Sold my M9 after trying it and stopped for most parts converting digital color images to B/W....

Having been through Epson R-D1, Leica M9, Leica M-P 240, and Leica M-D 262, this last is now my favorite. As makes sense, because I wouldn't have gone on to the next one if I was satisfied with what I had.

"Why?" is the more interesting question.

The M-D has become my favorite Leica M, not just digital rangefinder, because it is exactly what I've wanted: an utterly simple camera with no extraneous features beyond a good meter and a digital capture sensor. It's nice that it has Aperture Priority AE, it's nice that it has both single and sequence capture modes, and that it winds the shutter electrically. Essentially it has just focus, viewfinder, shutter time, sensitivity setting, and aperture—the fundamental tools of making photographs—with no other options and no other decisions to get in the way of seeing your subject. The rest is up to you to figure out, which is fast and quick because it has nothing else to distract you.

The M-D consumes battery very slowly, fitted with a 64G card it can make over a thousand exposures stored as raw before you need to fit another card, and has little to distract you from doing photography. The raw files are pliable, easy to render any way you want. The rangefinder is accurate and sure. The lenses are superb. There's not much else for me to want in a rangefinder camera.

G

I added my vote for the R-D1. I've gotten more keepers with that camera than all the other camera's I've owned combined (including an M6 and M8). It was terrible in low light, the rangefinder was constantly out of adjustment, the batteries didn't last very long, but somehow it just worked. 6MP with good glass is just fine.

I purchased an M10-P this year, which I really like, but we're still getting to know each other. Still have the Epson too, but I plan to sell it.

I purchased an M10-P this year, which I really like, but we're still getting to know each other. Still have the Epson too, but I plan to sell it.

Don't do it... I have the M10, I had the M240, I had the M9 before that, and some analog Leicas (and other brand RFs) and the Zeiss ZM. - The Epson is, what I miss most. I had it more than once and it is just the most fun of all cameras ever, even with its 6MPixel only. I'm looking for some time now for a reasonable offer somewhere for a good condition R-D1, but prices are completely nuts currently. So if you sell once, there is probably no way back - and you're gonna miss it...

Favourite I have used is the original M-D, followed by the original Monochrom. I would like to use the newer versions of them sometime.

The only one I have owned is the M8, which is currently in the shop only a few weeks after I bought it (luckily it had store warranty).

Back