What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

What Is Your Favorite Digital Rangefinder Camera?

• Epson RD1 family - all models

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Leica M8 / 8u

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leica M8.2

• Leica M9

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M9-P

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Leica MM

• Leica M-E

• Leica M240 family

• Leica M-P

• Leica M60

• Leica M10

• Leica M10-P

• Leica M10-Monochrom

• Leica M10-R

• Pixii

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Leica M11

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Leica M11 Monochrome

• Total voters
Voted for the M9!

It is my favorite and the only Digital Full Frame Rangefinder I own currently! I will be getting the M9 back from Leica soon with a new sensor and hope to have it running for many more years to come! (edit: Leica in NJ informed me that the sensor is on backorder with no delivery date from Germany. This has got me re-thinking the offer to upgrade to the M-P 240.)

I did have the M8.2 for a short period of time and loved that digital rangefinder as well.

I've only ever owned an M9-P. My favourite thing ever. I'm sure if I had the $ there might be others to consider but as I have zero interest in video I'm struggling to think why I'd need to replace it before it dies.
I did get to take a couple of shots once with a Monochrom with that 50mm asph summicron, that was superb but holding the value of a new car in your hands wouldn't be for the faint hearted.

I'm looking forward to the first post, that says, the Konost is the favourite digital RF since it came out...

Besides that, I'm pleased, that the R-D1 is still the number one, although I use my M240 as my main camera.

i have a m240 so that's one vote there but am looking forward to seeing what the Konost could do. also, i wouldnt take a second glance at a digital leica if there was a zeiss ikon digital.

It used to be the Leica Monochrom aka Leica M9MM aka Leica Monochrome aka Leica Mono CCD aka Leica Mono aka Leica Monochrom 1, but now it's the Leica Monochrom 246 aka Leica M10MM aka Leica M10 Mono aka Leica Mono CMOS aka Leica Monochrom 2 aka Leica MMM.

I'm amazed to see the 240 leading this poll ... I would have expected the M9 to be the front runner but I suspect the sensor issue had an effect on it's overall popularity.

I've been using the Epsons for many years. Great cameras and they hold their value pretty well. The whole notion of 'digital antique' has become a hyper-consumer issue. If you look at the release frequency of some popular cameras and the declared 'antique' status and depreciation of older models has more to do with advertising hype and marketeering than the usability of the cameras in question.

I voted for the 240 as that has been my first and only digital Leica (but my first digital RF was indeed the R-D1, and it was what lead me to this site in the first place all those years ago).

I get along just fine with the 240 and it doesn't get in my way, the image quality is wonderful, and though I wish it was more capable in very low light, I have never been left unable to work because of the camera. It's been my main digital since picking it up in November 2014, to the effect that I sold off my other digital systems late last year as my own needs were changing.

Now. All of that being said, I am the most intrigued by the Monochrom (both versions) as I am very much a black and white shooter in general (but I like having the option to shoot color when I want). I think the Monochrom is an incredibly special tool, and like anything else, when one learns to control and manipulate the nuances of such a tool, they are rewarded with spectacular image quality. I would very much like to pick one up in the future.

M8 classic hands down

very useful camera for all purpose and esp bw, great for brightlenses too (1/8000)
great files if you get "into it"

I voted M240 but really intended my vote to count towards the M246. Figured that was closer to what I wanted so as not to confuse votes for the original m9 based monochrom.

Still my M8.

I have shot with M9, M240, M Monochrom, but I just don't see any reason to "upgrade".
In a small Dothebag Mono 04 the M8 plus the Fuji X-E2 and three lenses = perfect set for me.

M9 for me because, of the several I own, it is the least valuable so it gets used most. Odd logic perhaps. But I'll bet I'm not the only one. And the pictures are absolutely as good as anyone would ever need. The lack of Live View does make it less capable of using my massive collection of odd and wonderful old lenses.

Well, I have only one digital Leica, an M8.2 (with very few clicks on it). I use this camera for experimenting with compositional ideas mostly.

Sometimes I convert the digital images in Capture One into something that approximates B&W film, or at least something that I can display side by side on a screen without too many apparent distracting differences. But, I only do this when either I cannot revisit the setting with a film M or in those rare situations where the original exposures turned out to be either the only or the best to this point ...

Back