Your Most Essential Hasselblad Lenses?

Your Most Essential Hasselblad Lenses?

• Total voters
I always have a 50mm on the camera and swap it with whatever else (a 35mm and a 85mm) depending on the situation. But my 50mm is what I use most.

I'm figuring you're referring to 135 format lenses? As far as I know there aren't any 35 or 85mm lenses for the Hasselblad system. There's the 38mm lens permanently attached to the SWC, and the 80mm "standard"...

Actually I sold a few of my lenses a while back. Specifically the 50mm, the 150mm, and the 250mm. Just wasn't using them as much any more; Prefer other lenses in the lineup.

I own 60/100/150. If I could take only one lens it would be the 150.

Lars

That's the three lenses I own too. Funny thing is, I was gonna reply I only have the 60 and 100mm; when I saw your post I remembered I had the 150 too. I just don't use it. Maybe I should do more headshots. Then it could get some exercise.

Interesting to see this older thread come alive.

80 f2,8
150 4,0
also, less frequently, 50 f4

My first round with the Hasselblads included a 903SWC and 500CM with 80 and 150 lenses. I used the SWC most of the three.

I sold that system off in 2004 to fund other things, and missed the SWC a lot. So much so that when an opportunity to acquire one presented itself at the end of 2012, I bought another—this time a 1978 model. Shortly after I bought another 500CM as well, with both 80 and 150 lenses.

On this round of 'Blad ownership, I've used the 500CM more than the SWC, but not as much as I'd planned. I realized a few weeks ago that a) the 80mm lens was a bit wider than I wanted for general use, given that I have the SWC, and b) the 150mm was both a little too long and didn't focus closely enough.

My solution was to acquire the CF Makro-Planar 120mm f/4. It's just arrived a couple of days ago and I haven't even done any shooting with it yet, but I can immediately see that this is the right lens for me. It will be the lens on the 500CM most of the time, I'm sure, with both the medium tele FoV and the ability to focus down to about 2.7 feet distances. I also like the CF focusing ring and shutter aperture controls—they're very ergonomic and easy to use compared to the 80 and 150mm lenses. (I prefer the older lens style with the SWC because that one is used scale focus most of the time, and the older lenses' DoF indicators are easier to see.)

G

only ever owned the 80/2.8. would love to try out some of the wider/longer lenses, but don't know anyone with them... maybe once i'm back in the states i'll look to pick up another lens, as one of the strengths of the Blad is the system-ness.

oddly enough, that's one of the things i like most about my TLRs though -- the lack of need to constantly wonder "hmm, should i buy something else?"

That's the three lenses I own too. Funny thing is, I was gonna reply I only have the 60 and 100mm; when I saw your post I remembered I had the 150 too. I just don't use it. Maybe I should do more headshots. Then it could get some exercise.

I sometimes think about replacing 60 and 100 with the 80, though. Would give me a stop more and I would get rid of some weight. But the good comments about the 60 and 100 made me keep them so far.

Lars

I've got what I like using best. 50mm for wide - but not too wide shots. 80mm for everything from landscapes to street to portraits. 120mm Makro-Planar for portraits, macro work, etc.

I had a 60mm a few years ago and, whilst it was a stunning lens, I prefer the 50mm. I also had the 40mm CFT* FLE which was an awesome lens but a monster to lug around.

John Brook

John Brook

One of my early mentors, John Brook, had a successful studio on posh Newbury Street in Boston.
He had large northern exposure windows.
A living room with a wall painted grey.
Shot B&W almost exclusively.
A 1000F Blad.
he had ONE lens, the 180mm Zeiss Olympic Sonnar.

http://image.eastmanhouse.org/files/GEH_1961_10_04.pdf

I was there once while WGBH, the local PBS station, was doing a piece on him. They asked to borrow his lights for their shoot.

He had no lights. Just windows.
And one lens.
Still, he managed to do OK. ;)

My solution was to acquire the CF Makro-Planar 120mm f/4. It's just arrived a couple of days ago and I haven't even done any shooting with it yet, but I can immediately see that this is the right lens for me.

As I suspected, this is just the right lens for me. :)

G

Hasselblad newb here, I've put together a kit with the 60, 100, and 180, hoping they become my wide/normal/tele trinity.

Back