Zeiss Contax Month - April

Contax II, probably with CZJ 3.5cm Biogon since I rarely use 50s. Shrimp boat in harbor, Apalachicola Florida. Second pic is cypress and tupelo swamp in Tate's Hell State Forest, near Apaplachicola

Trying to get a feel for the 135 f4 Jupiter 11... Pikes Peak 38 Contax II, Tri X

fullsizeoutput-c50.jpg

I have drooled over older Zeiss Contax rangefinder cameras for years, especially with the Sonnar 50/1.5, but never got one. The closest I got was buying a working Kiev-2a with Jupiter-8 and Jupiter-12, a camera that I really really like. Then I stopped being able to take photos and kinda stopped even thinking about buying any more camera gear. I used to browse ebay for all things film camera related every morning while I had coffee (a dangerous and expensive habit), but I stopped doing that about a year ago and I really hadn't looked at ebay since then. One day in March this year out of pure boredom, I opened up ebay, went to my saved search feed, and right at the top was an immaculate Contax IIIa with a Carl Zeiss Jena T 5cm f/1.5, all for a price that I would be mad not to buy it.
The camera arrived March 29th (perfect for Zeiss Contax month) and was in better condition than I had hoped. I loaded a roll of Kodak MAX 400 that had expired at some unknown date (I was hoping it was okay but turned out to terribly expired) and I forced myself to go out around the neighborhood and try to shoot a test roll. I ended up shooting about 10 frames (that outing took me a week to recover from) and then I took a few test shots in the house and decided that was enough and rewound the film and sent it out for developing. Being expired and a test roll, there isn't anything very good on the roll, but as it's the first film I have in over a year, I thought I'd share some here.

First, a photo of the camera, next to my Kiev-2a,

Camera Cousins. by Colton Allen, on Flickr​

And a photo from the test roll. Some here may remember that a wildfire went through my town last September. There is still a lot wreckage and fire debris around from the fire. My house was thankfully okay, but this photo was taken a block away from my house.

ACtC-3cWbkKUkJpi3UXrPX5Fby3rDz402d_Blum7FFt0nicydb8LUctaK5JB77wq3QIBN9R5pcdxQ8ZSB1NxKw1NsO5hhIcsSV0dztqThv5rFYatLkRVdZJC_gseHXbQBkpyp_7dC0McdIdEKBEoMtoAj8YEag=w1024-h732-no

I have drooled over older Zeiss Contax rangefinder cameras for years, especially with the Sonnar 50/1.5, but never got one. The closest I got was buying a working Kiev-2a with Jupiter-8 and Jupiter-12, a camera that I really really like. Then I stopped being able to take photos and kinda stopped even thinking about buying any more camera gear. I used to browse ebay for all things film camera related every morning while I had coffee (a dangerous and expensive habit), but I stopped doing that about a year ago and I really hadn't looked at ebay since then. One day in March this year out of pure boredom, I opened up ebay, went to my saved search feed, and right at the top was an immaculate Contax IIIa with a Carl Zeiss Jena T 5cm f/1.5, all for a price that I would be mad not to buy it.
The camera arrived March 29th (perfect for Zeiss Contax month) and was in better condition than I had hoped. I loaded a roll of Kodak MAX 400 that had expired at some unknown date (I was hoping it was okay but turned out to terribly expired) and I forced myself to go out around the neighborhood and try to shoot a test roll. I ended up shooting about 10 frames (that outing took me a week to recover from) and then I took a few test shots in the house and decided that was enough and rewound the film and sent it out for developing. Being expired and a test roll, there isn't anything very good on the roll, but as it's the first film I have in over a year, I thought I'd share some here.

First, a photo of the camera, next to my Kiev-2a,
Camera Cousins. by Colton Allen, on Flickr​

And a photo from the test roll. Some here may remember that a wildfire went through my town last September. There is still a lot wreckage and fire debris around from the fire. My house was thankfully okay, but this photo was taken a block away from my house.

Lovely shots Colton, thanks for sharing these. I love those colours. Please share more when you can!

Yours Truly... while out testing my recently acquired Zeiss Contax IIIa and Sonnar 50/1.5
Photo was taken by my caregiver, using the Contax IIIa with my instructions.
The was the first time I've gone out to take photos since August 2020, and the first film I have shot since March 2020.

ACtC-3c_lOsZm11iUrn_mQy5BT8PtAMvUBfKTCofnZQjYdj83U52eDcQI-9BrKtnRz-a3JbtpVQdXAnb_GtIXkuQEebia8t2sc-mtE3DwsF8k_Dag5zS9b56gZecBTVavEk8GkPz7mX1a6TXfwdRSUx3NxF0gA=w1024-h716-no

Back