Any news on the new Plustek 120 scanner?

Stephen is absolutely correct. The Pustek sales rep has been a huge help.
I am very grateful that ANY company is willing to invest in new technology and develop a modern 120 scanner. The specs sound great! I hope to get one soon.

Ok, so I've been waiting for the Plustek scanner to arrive, but a good friend has recently offered me her nearly new Nikon Coolscan 9000 for the same money. So now I need to choose...

Which would you go for?

G

Perhaps they are waiting for Hamrick to optimize Vuescan for the Plustek 120 ...

I doubt they're waiting for that, but Ed did tell me he was waiting on an eval production unit so he could do what's needed to support it with VueScan.

G

Ok, so I've been waiting for the Plustek scanner to arrive, but a good friend has recently offered me her nearly new Nikon Coolscan 9000 for the same money. So now I need to choose...

Which would you go for?

G

How can anyone answer this at this time?

How can anyone answer this at this time?

I wasn't really expecting much other than opinion or gut feeling. ;-)

Perhaps a more pointed question:
For those who might have owned or presently own the Nikon Coolscan 9000, what do you think of it? Any problems? etc.

G

Which would you go for?

G

If sample scans from Plustek 120 posted by Mark are any indication of the scan quality of the final production units, well, for $2k you should have bought Nikon CS9000 like... yesterday.

But, as pointed out, nobody outside Plustek really knows, so Plustek 120 could still turn out as good or even very good.

I wasn't really expecting much other than opinion or gut feeling. ;-)

Perhaps a more pointed question:
For those who might have owned or presently own the Nikon Coolscan 9000, what do you think of it? Any problems? etc.

G

I have a 9000ED and the 5000ED. Short of getting your hands on something like an Imacon 848/949 you're not going to find a better scanner out there.
Unless Plustek finally ships this darn thing and it lives up to its promise. I'm pretty sure Nikon still services the 9000, but you could give them a shout.

If the price is right you can't go wrong. Try to find the glass holder if you are scanning MF. I think there are two types of these holders.

One has had 894 posts about a product announced over a year ago that no one has seen yet. The only thing history says about this model is that the manufacturer has been unable to meet their projected dates that it will actually exist.

The other has a solid track record for many years.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I have a 9000ED and the 5000ED. Short of getting your hands on something like an Imacon 848/949 you're not going to find a better scanner out there.
Unless Plustek finally ships this darn thing and it lives up to its promise. I'm pretty sure Nikon still services the 9000, but you could give them a shout.

If the price is right you can't go wrong. Try to find the glass holder if you are scanning MF. I think there are two types of these holders.

Thanks! That's the second recommendation I've gotten for the glass holder. I'll have to see what's already with the unit when I pick it up for evaluation ..

G

Thanks! That's the second recommendation I've gotten for the glass holder. I'll have to see what's already with the unit when I pick it up for evaluation ..

G

Just be aware that Nikonscan will not run on the latest version of OS X.
I think it stopped working after 10.6.

The only thing I wish my Nikon 9000 did was 6x12. That seems to be the advantage of the plustek. Trying to get two pieces of a 6x12 scanned in to stitch together has been a PITA. but I've been happy otherwise. And I did get the glass holder which helps heaps.

The only thing I wish my Nikon 9000 did was 6x12. That seems to be the advantage of the plustek. Trying to get two pieces of a 6x12 scanned in to stitch together has been a PITA. but I've been happy otherwise. And I did get the glass holder which helps heaps.

Plus the fact that the Plustek will work with the latest software, when it does arrive.

G

The glass holders didn't come with the scanner, they were optional purchases, and were expensive. $250 for the non-rotating one and $360 for the rotating one. The rotating one is much better designed and easier to use, even if you never need the rotation feature. It makes a big sharpness difference over the non-glass standard carriers. I even use mine for 35mm film for that reason.

"Plustek 120 High-End Scanner" (tentative name)
as **shown/reported** at CP+ Yokohama February 2011 (...Feb-2011)

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110211_426498.html

no panic... it's a timing issue...

just to be accurate about the timing on this... it would be interesting if it was announced at CP+ this year.

BTW: I am still interested in the product and the reviews when it does come out. It's a business decision not the end of the world either way.

Casey

I have ordered one in Switzerland and have been told it would be shipped at the end of next week...

Regards,

S.

Plustek emailed me this morning in answer to my request for a delivery update and they told me that UK dealers will have their first stock next week.

Back