who owns a recent production zeiss ikon here?

As I want only silver lenses I decided not to buy the ZM 85/2 (available only in black); instead, I sprang for the silver ZM 85/4. What a sharp little lens!

I also added the ZM 25/2.8 to my Zeiss kit, so I'm all set for the time being. Now if Zeiss would only give us a FF digital body...

I just bought a mint silver ZI and a Biogon 35/2 on the auction site, both of which should arrive soon. I recently got a Planar 50/2 which I tested on my M8.2, and I found it to be sharper than my 50/2 Summicrons - what a lens! I'm really eager to try out my ZM lenses on the ZI.

My next ZM purchase will be something wider, probably the 25/2.8. I'd love to have the 85/2 sometime but that will take serious $$$!

Thought I was done buying ZM lenses but found that I have ZM lens GAS! Just bought a used mint black Sonnar 85/2 ZM to add to my collection (and to use on both my ZI and my M8.2). Reading Sean Reid's take on this lens was very convincing.

Somebody help me....

Regards, Jim

Last edited:
Wow!

Wow!

Hi, what a camera!

It´s viewfinder is far better from what i read about. Got reed of my m6 and m7 right away!

Just kept the III-G which i love and a new M8 (only cos digital)

The handling of this silver beaut just overwhelmed both m6 and m7, sacrilegious many will say, but the larger rangefinder base is perfect for my eyesight!

Bye,

New zeiss fan here!

Mine arrived yesterday, and I'm halfway into a roll already. Amazing camera! The framelines and focusing patch are so nice and bright, the viewfinder is so easy to use with glasses, the build quality is incredible, the shutter is so quiet, and I could go on....

Unfortunately the Planar it came with is sans hood, which was back-ordered and will arrive next week, when I does I'll post a pic!

Cheers,
Rob

Black ZM with M-Hex 50/2 and CV 25/4 (Snapshot-skopar).
I've been using it for a couple of months now, and really love it.

I have a black Ikon and a planar 50. I´m interested to see how the planar compares with my Nokton 50/1.5 as I´ve heard they show similar characteristics. Very different in the hand though.

First Post on RFF...

First Post on RFF...

I'm new to Rangefinders but am quite familiar with SLRs. Just picked up a pre-owned (mint condition) black Zeiss Ikon here in Japan for $700. Lenses so far are the Zeiss Planar *T 2/50 ZM and the CV Nokton 35/1.2 ASPH. Looks like the CV Color-Skopar 21/4 may also be acquired here shortly.

I've only put two rolls of film through it so far (RDP III and Portra 160 VC) and haven't had the time to get either of them developed yet. Can't wait.

I'm new to Rangefinders but am quite familiar with SLRs. Just picked up a pre-owned (mint condition) black Zeiss Ikon here in Japan for $700. Lenses so far are the Zeiss Planar *T 2/50 ZM and the CV Nokton 35/1.2 ASPH. Looks like the CV Color-Skopar 21/4 may also be acquired here shortly.

I've only put two rolls of film through it so far (RDP III and Portra 160 VC) and haven't had the time to get either of them developed yet. Can't wait.

Another Okinawan convert to rangefinders .... there must me something in the water down there ;)

Welcome to the forum, Kiyoshi :)

Nice to see you around here at RFF !!:)

Another Okinawan convert to rangefinders .... there must me something in the water down there ;)

Welcome to the forum, Kiyoshi :)

Nice to see you around here at RFF !!:)

Jon and Gabor, thank you for the warm welcome. It was other islanders like Nate and Luna that slowly helped ween me off of (shooting only with) SLRs...not to mention great RF photos from the two of you on flickr...

I have a black ZI with 50/2 planar and the 28/2.8 biogon, loving it so far!

only issue is that i find the focusing ring is a bit stiff on the planar, hopefully itll loosen up when i put a few more rolls through it.

Black ZI w/Biogon 35/2 - had it for a week and loving the simplicity, feel and intuitive operation. On a - hopefully - steap learning curve so the pictures will also be useable, but for the moment it's just the pure pleasure to operate a proper camera again.

I'm not sure if I ever chimed in here, but I've had a black ZI for five or six months now, along with a 50mm Planar, 35mm 2.5 Nikkor LTM, and a 90mm APO Lanthar as my primary kit, along with a '70s Jupiter-8 and a newly acquired ZOMZ Jupiter-3 from the late '50s. While I miss the M4 I sold to fund the ZI, I have to say that it is an incredible camera and a joy to use.

I just recently bought a zeiss ikon because I didn't want to mess with batteries and computers on vacation. I'm now in love with the 35mm optics and have a Voigtlander 15/ƒ4.5, Zeiss 35mm/ƒ2, Zeiss 50mm/ƒ2, Zeiss 85mm/ƒ4. Will probably get a Voigtlander 50mm/ƒ1.1 Nokton and call it quits for the glass. Black&White, Color images are equally stunning and people notice the difference.

Silver Body. I bought an Olympus 43mm screw metal lens cap after losing my original plastic cap on the grounds of the Winter Palace in St Petersburg.

www.jamesfbland.com

Last edited:
I've been shooting a new to me ZM. I like some things about it very much:

Vastly better exposure compensation implementation than the M7.

It is lightweight.

It's got a great VF view.

I dislike the VF readout compared to a metered Leica, and also much prefer the bottom loading of the Leica- I have gotten very used to that after struggling with it when I first started shooting my M7.

Well, I do.

Good camera, Viewfinder's easier to sue in low light than a Leica--framelines show up better.

Only issue I have is that the last time I used it--with a 90 mm Summicron, at wide apertures--most of the pics came out out of focus or soft. Trying to figure out if it was just a fluke, my eyes getting worse (I'm already pretty damn blind), or if the rangefinder's out of whack (my ZI is likely one of the early ones--got it in 2006.)

Received my black ZI yesterday. I was impressed by the viewfinder clarity and size but found the meter readout a bit hard to see in bright light with glasses. I put a roll through it quickly yesterday, we'll se how it worked.

Silver Special Edition on its way to me. I held off on the 50mm Sonnar and will save up for a Summilux 50mm aspherical (my dream lens for next year) but will get a Summicron 50 as my travel lens.

Back